Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Vacation with the Sola Family - sort of...

About a month ago, I went to Colorado to visit Kristy and her adorable family. Her husband JJ was scheduled to be deployed the day after I arrived. To make things even crazier, her two boys were sick and her 2 month old daughter, Taytum, was really sick with RSV and was in the hospital. From the moment I stepped off the plane, things were hectic! I spent the first night at the hospital so that Kristy could enjoy her last night with her hubby and her two little boys. It was so sad to see Taytum hooked up to a breathing machine and laying on a hospital bed. She is so little! The following morning, JJ had to say his goodbyes. It was an emotional morning - to say the least!

Kristy and I didn’t get to hang out much the first two days since we had to take turns being at the hospital with Taytum and being at the house with the boys. I would make the boys lunch and put them down for a nap while Kristy stayed with Taytum at the hospital. Then I would watch Taytum while she went home to make the boys dinner and put them to bed. Then we would switch – she would sleep at the hospital while I slept at the house. Then the next day, we would start over again. Sheesh! I’m getting tired just thinking about it…. The day after JJ left, we were fortunate enough to bring Taytum home from the hospital. She had to be hooked up to an oxygen tank but at least we could all be together at the house. It was so nice to finally take showers and eat something other than cafeteria food! We spent a lot of time just playing with the boys and watching TV with them. I think I memorized a few episodes of Dora the Explorer thanks to Braylon. We had so much fun just talking and spending time together. Oooohh and we snuck in a few trips to Sonic to get cherry lime-aids!

As crazy and emotional as this trip was, I was so glad I could be there for Kristy and her family during such a difficult time. I can’t imagine what it must be like to have your husband leave for a year when you have three kids under the age of 3. But if anyone can do it, it’s Kristy! She’s such an amazing mom and wife. I have learned a lot from her over the past few years as I’ve watched Kristy raise her kids. She loves those kids more than anything and you can tell by watching them together, that they love her too! Oh and let’s not forget JJ – what he’s doing for his family and his country is amazing! Even though the kids are too little to know what’s going on, they will one day know how amazing and selfless their daddy is and how blessed they are to have such a wonderful role model.

Kristy - Thanks for letting me join in on the craziness for the week! I know it was hectic but it was still fun hanging with you and your precious family. I love you guys to pieces and will continue to pray for all of you! I look forward to hanging out with you while you are in California.

Love,
Monkey

{I’ll leave out the part where I got sick with the flu and was glued to the couch for an entire day. Oh and the part where my flight from Dallas back to Orange County was cancelled and I had to be re-routed to LAX where I arrived at 1:00am. Oh and the part where I had no luggage because it got lost in translation and didn’t arrive until the next day and I had to miss another day of work – but it was still worth every penny!}




No comments:

Post a Comment