Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year = New Projects

So another year has come and gone. I can't believe its 2010! Where has the time gone??
Andrew and I have been married now for 7 months and still don't have a grown-up looking bedroom! I get so frustrated everytime I walk into our room because its nothing like what I want it to be. I have so many ideas yet don't have the extra money lying around to put those ideas into action! So what does this mean for our poor college-dorm like bedroom? It means I have to be creative and thrifty to transform our bedroom into something worth getting excited about! Since I already have a creative side to me, I am half way there! I figure I just need to work on the being thrifty part, which is easier said then done.
Lately, I have been on a major "antiquing" and "rehabbing old furniture" kick. I find myself spending all my free time looking up pictures of junk that people have transformed into beautiful pieces of furniture. I have recently come across a blog called "Centsational Girl" which I instantly fell in love with. This woman is amazing! She has inspired me to start finding things in thrift stores and flea markets instead of Z-Gallery and Pottery Barn. I can now look at old peices of furniture and see something so much greater. I have so many ideas flowing through my head, I am tempted to ditch work (I feel a stomach ache coming on) and drive to the nearest thrift store to start hunting!
Ok, ok... so I am stuck at work 'til 6 pm. But when 6:00 hits, I'm outta here and off to purchase my first find. I was checking out craigs list when I came across this -

To the old Kym, it simply looks like a crappy old, ugly colored bench. To the new Kym, it looks like a bench that is crying "With a little new paint, some new fabric and some cute buttons, this could be a beautiful addition to the foot of our bed". So thats exactly what I'm doing. I am going to paint the legs either white or black (haven't decided yet) and find some pretty fabric to recover the bench. I think I will give it a "tufted" look while I'm at it. Below is a picture of a bench I found that costs $300!

Who would ever spend that kind of money? Not the new and improved Kym - that's for sure! I'm going to get my fixer-upper for a whopping $25! I can't wait to see how it turns out. (I will post a picture once its finished)

Here are some other ideas I have after being inspired by Centsational Girl!

Before:

After:

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment